Vocational/Career Pathways

There are numerous roles dedicated to supporting deaf and hard of hearing students within Victorian government schools, such as Teachers of the Deaf (ToDs), Educational Interpreters and Education Support (ES).  Each role plays an integral part in ensuring all deaf and hard of hearing students learn in safe and inclusive school environments.

Teacher of the Deaf (ToDs)

Teachers of the Deaf (also known as ToDs) are qualified teachers who have undertaken further training to teach children with hearing loss. ToDs provide support to deaf children, their families, and to other professionals who are involved in a child's education. Teachers of the Deaf may be employed in Schools for Deaf, Deaf Facilities and Visiting Teacher Service.



Requirements for becoming a Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) in Victoria

Those wishing to become a teacher in Victoria must comply with the entrance requirements specified by the relevant tertiary training institution, such as a university or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). In the case of teacher training, Universities offering these courses must be endorsed by the Victorian Institute of Teaching.

Teachers of the Deaf (TOD) have an initial teacher qualification in early years, primary or secondary education. An additional recognised specialist Masters qualification is completed to become a Teacher of the Deaf.

Currently recognised pathways to become a Teacher of the Deaf in Victoria are the three Universities offering accredited courses approved by the Victorian Department of Education and Training and the Victorian Institute of Teaching.

  • Master of Disability Studies, NextSense Institute/ Macquarie University (Deaf Hard of Hearing Specialisation)
  • Master of Learning Intervention (Hearing Impairment Specialty), University of Melbourne
  • Master of Special and Inclusive Education (Deaf Studies and Deaf Education), University of Newcastle

Handy Resources

  • The National Association of Australian Teachers of the Deaf (NAATD) recognises the above three courses for full membership via state branches. https://naatd.com.au/how-to-become-a-teacher-of-the-deaf/
  • The Australian Association of Teachers of the Deaf (AATD) is the Victorian branch https://aatdvic.org.au/
  • The VIT page that outlines how to become a registered teacher in Victoria is https://www.vit.vic.edu.au/providers/new-teacher-ed#ite-pathways

Educational Interpreter

Educational Interpreters are specialist Educational Support (ES) staff who provide language and communication access in Auslan and English to support deaf and hard of hearing students in their learning environments.


Education Support

Education support staff are an integral part of a student's education team, working alongside the classroom teacher to ensure the learning needs of students are met. Education support staff provide students with personalised support, enabling access to the curriculum and learning environments across various learning levels and subject areas.


Enhancing your qualification to teach Auslan in schools –

To find out about Auslan teaching contact the Auslan Teachers' Association of Victoria (ATAV). ATAV can provide information around the qualifications needed to teach Auslan in schools. For further information head to the ATAV webpage.


The Language Teacher Register

The Language Teacher Register assists schools to find qualified language teachers to fill vacant language teaching positions (including Auslan) in government schools. The Register is open to graduating, graduate and currently employed language teachers who are seeking a language teaching position in a government kindergarten, primary or secondary school. To read more about and register for the Language Teacher Register please review the ' Language Teacher Register fact sheet'.

 Current Opportunities (Victorian settings)

There are several websites advertising current employment opportunities in the Victorian public sector and in Victorian government schools.

Careers Victoria - Official website to search for and apply for Public Sector roles

​Careers Victoria - Official website to search for and apply for
Public Sector roles


Careers Victoria - Disability employment


​Jobs in Victorian Government schools (Recruitment Online).


Jobs and Skills Exchange (Victorian Public Service login or 
DE login required)


Other useful websites