The VDEI Educational Services Directory is
also available to download
VDEI Educational Services Directory
Visiting teacher service
Information is taken from the Department of Education and Training's website
Visiting Teachers are specialist teachers with expertise and experience in specific disabilities and impairments. They give schools and teachers guidance in supporting the engagement and participation of students with disabilities and additional needs.
They work in the areas of:
- physical disability
- health impairment
- hearing loss
- vision impairment
The role of visiting teachers
Visiting Teachers work to:
- promote and support inclusion in schools
- build capacity of teachers to provide for their students with disabilities and additional needs
- help teachers make adjustments to the curriculum and learning environment, including special provision for VCE.
- help teachers create individual plans and recognise the unique needs for each student
- monitor and report on student progress
- provide information and professional learning about disability and how disabilities may affect a student's learning
- participate in student support group meeting if requested
- give advice and reports for applications, if necessary.
Eligibility for the visiting teacher service
For a school to be eligible for the support of a Visiting Teacher, there are a range of criteria relating to the student's disability that must be met.
For Hearing loss
The hearing loss must be confirmed by a current audiogram and audiologist report. There are some additional factors that may affect the level of support provided. These include:
- degree and type of hearing loss
- age of the student at diagnosis
- effect of the hearing loss on the student's acquisition of speech and language, academic performance and social/emotional wellbeing
- requirements and success of audiological management.
To find out more about the Visiting Teacher Service
Who to contact?
Your first point of contact for help, questions or feedback is your school or early childhood service. If you require additional information your local regional office will be able to assist.
North Eastern Victoria Region
Phone: 1300 333 231
Office locations: Benalla, Glen Waverley, Seymour, Shepparton, Wangaratta and Wodonga
South Eastern Victoria Region
Phone: 1300 338 738
Office locations: Cheltenham, Dandenong, Frankston, Leongatha, Moe, Sale and Warragul
North Western Victoria Region
Phone: 1300 338 691
Office locations: Bendigo, Coburg, Greensborough, Mildura and Swan Hill
South Western Victoria Region
Phone: 1300 333 232
Office locations: Ararat, Ballarat, Footscray, Geelong, Horsham, Keilor and Warrnambool